by Kirkpatrick Sale
March 22, 2010
Thomas Naylor has just outlined the strategy that the Second Vermont
Republic is operating under in a paper he has distributed this week.
Though it is (very) specific to Vermont, where there are now at least
nine candidates for the fall election, it should be of interest and
perhaps instruction to secessionists everywhere. The text follows:
The Problem: The American Empire is the largest, wealthiest, most
powerful, most materialistic, most racist, most militaristic, most
violent empire of all time. It is owned, operated, and controlled by
Wall Street, Corporate America, and the Israeli Lobby. It has lost
its moral authority and is unsustainable, ungovernable, and,
1. The Vermont Mystique. Classic red barns, covered bridges, the
picturesque patchwork pattern of small farms, black-and-white
Holsteins, tiny villages, little rivers, ridges, hollows, valleys,
and dirt roads.
2. The Vermont Village Green. A place where people meet to chat, have
a coffee, a locally brewed beer, a glass of wine, or a bite to eat;
read a newspaper; listen to music; smell the flowers; and pass the
time away. A place which is all about the politics of human scale
small towns, small businesses, small schools, and small churches. The
village green is neat, clean, democratic, radical, nonviolent,
noncommercial, egalitarian, and humane. A mirror image of the way
America once was but no longer knows how to be.
3. David and Goliath Image. What could be more absurd than tiny
Vermont, the second smallest state in the United States in terms of
population, confronting the most powerful empire in history? The
image of Vermont as an underdog is not likely to go unnoticed.
1. Neoconservatives. The Republican Party, Fox News, The Wall Street
Journal, and CNBC. [Vermont] Governor Jim Douglas, Lt. Governor Brian
Dubie, the Ethan Allen Institute [John McClaughry], and True North Radio.
2. Neoliberals. The Democratic Party, most of the national media
including ABC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, PBS, and PBR. Senator Bernie Sanders,
Senator Patrick Leahy, Congressman Peter Welch, and their political supporters.
Objectives: The peaceable return of Vermont to its status as an
independent republic  and the peaceable dissolution of the
1. Political independence by 2015.
2. Dissolution of the American Empire by 2020.
1. Moral Authority. Challenge the moral authority of the U.S.
Government, Senator Bernie Sanders, Senator Patrick Leahy,
Congressman Peter Welch, and all of their collaborators.
2. Swiss Model. Unabashedly embrace the socio-economic, political
model of Switzerland, the most sustainable nation-state of all time.
3. Imagine…Free Vermont. Launch a new political party whose aim is to
elect state government officials and members of the legislature
committed to Vermont independence. Once the party has a majority in
the legislature, a motion will be introduced calling for a statewide
convention to consider articles of secession. After these articles of
secession have been approved by a two-thirds majority of the
convention delegates, negotiations will begin with the United States
Government for the peaceable departure of Vermont from the Union.
4. Vermont Commons. Develop the economic, agricultural, energy, and
environmental foundations necessary to support a sustainable,
politically independent Free Vermont.
5. Radio Free Vermont. Sow the seeds of peaceable rebellion against
the Empire through Vermont-based music produced by Vermont musicians.
6. Outreach. Through the Middlebury Institute, the website
SecessionNews.com, and other networks, reach out to other
independence movements in the United States and elsewhere.
7. Finance. Utilize modern Internet-based social-network technology
to raise money to finance the activities of the SVR Strategic Alliance.